Sunday 11 March 2012

The Artist and Hugo.


I won’t say that I am avid movie watcher, but I am advocate of the fact that movies can be an effective way for oozing depression. For last couple of years I was not able to watch Oscars, which I used to follow dearly, but professional life doesn't give me that luxury, in fact software industry strips you from many. I won’t be whining about horrendous field I am working in, this will be the topic of some other blog maybe when I resign or get fired.
Well I intended to write about 2 movies I watched which shined at Oscars this year, one was “The Artist”, bagging 5 golden statues in prestigious categories;  best picture, director and best actor, where second move “Hugo” also bagged 5 Oscars from 11 nominations.
The Artist was a very significant movie because of the fact that it was first silent movie in 80 years to win best picture at Oscars. The movie depicted an actor going through the transition period from silent to talkies. Imbued by his silent euphoria, confront by conundrum that whether go for talkies or not. The movie’s plot was not a new one, many movies have been made on such a topic, and I don’t know why all of them have intact the same stereotype for actors going through the transition. Means why a silent protagonist thinks that he will outshine the talkies by his charisma, why he thinks that he will make a great silent movie by risking every dime he earned and that movie will be a reason for his glorious comeback and audiences will hark back to silent movies once again. And I can’t comprehend the fact that why in the whole world, the only person loyal to technology stricken out of job actors is their butler. I think writers and directors should really work on this stereotype. Overall 'The Artist' was a nice attempt, I won’t say that it would be my favorite movie, but it rightfully deserved the entire accolade showered on it.
Now the second movie, “Hugo” was directed by one of my favorite director. The movie was adapted from historical fiction ’The Invention of Hugo Cabret’. The movie is about a lonely boy living with his inebriated uncle in a railway station. Jim Morrison  said, “We are thrown into this world”, same was the case with this movie, audience were thrown into it. The movie lacks a proper build up, and this happens with a lot of movies which where based on a epic book. But for me the treat to watch was Ben Kingsely’s portrayal of great George Melies. According to me he was more convincing as Melies than he was as Gandhi. I know not many people will digest this but it’s my personal opinion. The other best thing about movie was its majestic art direction and cinematography, for which it bagged Oscars too. Well in the end I would say that it was not best by Martin and he would do better.

2 comments:

  1. About Hugo: I was expecting more from it, Whatever they had was good but i was expecting it to be more magical.
    About The Artist: All the Oscars it grabbed it deserved those. After watching it i was surprised that the The Dog was not even nominated, for Supporting Actor Oscar. Overall loved the Movie and Jean Dujardin was Marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya Dog was good, pity they dont have best animal in supporting role nomination :)

      Delete