Friday 23 March 2012

Fort Food Street

Lahore has always attracted gourmands from its suburbs, and it won’t be an overstatement that Lahore have been citadel of food for centuries. Lahore have abundance of eateries scattered all over its geography, but it would be amazing to know that only last decade or so, modernization hit them. Once old ‘dhabbas’ or shabby places,which were unaware of importance of ambiance, cutlery,etc and were just getting business because of their excellent food, but now it is imperative to have all these features to run any eatery. The food street at Gowal Mandi, Old Anarkali and an array of fancy restaurants at M.M Alam road were overwhelmingly accepted by Lahorites and it was evident that how long they wanted to have proper and decent place for eating and hanging out.
Punjab Government closed the Gowal Mandi Food Street, and after some time opened a well planned and well architected food street at Fort Road just within the vicinity of majestic and commendable Badshahi Mosque and Lahore Fort.
Yesterday my brother and I, after doing some shopping, decided to visit the new food street and quench our taste buds with delicacies there. We parked the car in well managed parking lot, which occupies the lane on the back and western side of the Badshahi mosque. The enterance for food street was well secured by walk through metal detector and security guards.
After entering the street, we decided to stroll around. The street was packed with people enjoying their meal with friends and family. After meandering we decided to sit at the beginning of the street, just a furlong away from the musicians. I wished that i would had brought some buds to jam my ears, the music was horrible there, and most ironic thing was that this place was famous famous for its music.
Second shocked came to me when the manager told me that they don’t have any pos for plastic money, and I thank my stars that out of curiosity I asked him whether they accept card or not because I was short on cash that day. Than I realize that in hurriedness of inaugurating the food street (and many other projects ) in unrealistic deadlines set by Punjab Government , some major things are overlooked. Well with the budget of meager cash, i didn't played much with my luck and put my bet on Tawa Chicken. I don’t know the origin of this dish, but i am aware of the fact that this place epitomized Tawa Chicken. Tawa Chicken is prepared in two phases, first the chicken is slowly grilled on coals and than this half done chicken is saute on huge pan (‘Tawa’) with yogurt, spicy masala and then garnished with julienne ginger, lemon, green chillies and coriander. Well I was anticipating something marvelous, but when we were served with our meal, i was very much disappointed. The dish have no sense of presentation, and it looked like it was prepared by making chicken wear a suicide jacket filled with masala and just blast it on our platter. Well I won’t recommend anyone to eat the overpriced food there, nor will I reevaluate my impression by going there to try something different because anything they were offering their, i know better place to get it!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha..... man who told you to eat there... we spent like 4 hours there and then on our way back we ate karahi from someother place... and the best ever tawa chicken is from shah dolla... in texali...

    ReplyDelete