Monday 29 July 2013

Bonn Voyage: Close Encounter,,,

It’s been more than 60 years since the fall of Third Reich, more than 20 since unification; no doubt that Deutschland has resurrected itself from mere ashes. But in the process, instead of eliminating the racism and hatred, it has suppressed it. I am a skilled professional, doing my masters in one of the most prestigious universities of Germany. Whose legacy holds 7 Nobel laureates, including the only German economist to win one. Not only that I am working at one of the biggest research institute of Europe. I am writing this not in brag but in the context of personal humiliation and utter mental distress. Well today, coming back from a friend’s place, I was encountered by a typical German teenager. I guess he hasn’t seen the door of a university ever, or hasn’t heard the last movement of Beethoven’s Choral, where he orchestrated the finest words advocating fraternity and brotherhood. “Alle Menschen werden Bruder”, just remain words for me now, as the bantering and racist remarks bestowed on me, murders the gist of these beautiful words.

1 comment: